WMS (Web Map Service) is a geospatial and location based service for serving up map images over HTTP.
The OpenGIS® Web Map Service Interface Standard WMS provides a simple HTTP interface for requesting geo-registered map images from one or more distributed geospatial databases. A WMS request defines the geographic layer(s) and area of interest to be processed. The outcome of the request is one or more geo-registered map images (returned as JPEG, PNG, etc).
Steps for importing a WMS Map into your project:
1. Navigate to Insert tab and select WMS Map located in "Locations" group
2. WMS Map properies dialog window opens. Add WMS Map source URL and select connect
3. Select the needed map layers from available map and move them using the arrow buttons to the "Selected" column on the right.
4. Define map version (if not using default version)
5. Select format if not default (JPG/PNG)
6. Add regional EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset and select OK to start import.
7. Go to Home tab and select Map View to view the map (in case of red error message review spelling in URL or version, format or EPSG, reselect all layers and try import again)
Zoom in and out on the map using the tools in View tab or using shortcut key CTRL+mouse wheel.