Gantt view displays a list of tasks in the project in a sheet on the left side of the view and the time spans of the tasks in the graphical bar area on the right side of the view.
Gantt charts are easy to read and widely known, so they are useful for illustrating schedules to project stakeholders.
Tasks in Gantt view
Tasks can be created in several different ways using Quantities tools from Project tab or using quick selection and right clicking on top of a selected quantity.
Tasks from all quantities
- Select the name of Bill of Quantity, go to Project tab and click "Create task for quantities". This will create tasks from all the quantities in the sheet
Tasks from only selected quantities
- Select individual quantities from Bill of Quantity sheet using CTRL+mouse. After selecting navigate to Project tab and click "Create task for quantities".
- Select multiple rows from Bill of Quantity sheet using quick selection SHIFT+mouse. With SHIFT pressed down select starting and ending row. This will highlight all the selected row between the start and end rows. After selecting navigate to Project tab and click "Create task for quantities".
Tasks can have sub tasks in the project. Sub tasks can be added by selecting the task and right clicking to add "New task". Parent task can be modified in the Properties window if tasks needs to be pointed to a different parent task than previously created.
Columns and cells
Most values can be directly modified in the cells. Shown columns and their order can be edited from the header row. You can also change the order of columns by clicking and dragging the column headers.
Custom columns can be inserted for actual quantities, completion percentage or milestones for example.
Changing task duration might require you to modify or delete used resource type. Open Properties window by double clicking the cell or do modifications on the right hand side on Properties sheet.
Duration calculates days automatically as time units for the cell. Adding new duration using numbers and whole words or abbreviations such as:
- 8d or days for days
- 8wk or weeks for weeks
- 8mo or months for months
Duration start and ending time can also be modified by dragging the bar on time line view. Duration time can be shortened or lengthened by dragging the bar vertically using the arrow on top of the bar.
Duration units (hours, days, weeks etc) can be set in project options dialog (File --> Options).
- Sum task timing is defined by its sub tasks, timing can't be set manually
- If task has quantities with tag "Maximize usage" and resource types, the task duration is calculated from quantities and resource type production rates. Task duration can't be edited manually in this case. Task start time can be changed.
- If task start time has been defined "As soon as possible", task start time can't be set manually
- Task start time and duration can be set manually if task doesn't have any properties defined above
Gantt time line and dependencies
Color coded horizontal bars charts illustrate the tasks in scheduled time span where with the help of zoom tool bar charts can be viewed on hourly to day and weekly basis or from monthly to quarterly (Q1,Q2 etc.) or even half yearly (H1,H2) basis.
Create task dependencies by hovering over the desired task bar and drag the moving arrow downwards to the beginning or end of the task you want to create a dependency with. Release the mouse button to create the dependency.
Create task dependencies by defining tasks predecessor or successor in task properties. Dependency types are as follows: